An auctioneer is the most important element of a property selling campaign to achieve an excellent price.
As an auctioneer, I know what a good one looks like. Like every industry and sector, there are good and bad and these tips will help you spot the good ones. A good auctioneer should integrate seamlessly into your sales team. They represent your property and the agency.
- High emotional intelligence
- Understanding and empathy skills to connect with buyers in a respectful manner
- Are comfortable with the sales team and work on visual and non-visual cues
- Not intimidating (these tactics don’t work, people freeze up)
A good auctioneer will:
- Allow time for the auction and not be seen as in a hurry
- Make the auction easy, somewhat fun, relaxed and ease the tension that may exist
- Make the auction a joyous occasion and relax nerves
- Work with agents who are working with bidders
- Have a proven track-record and strong relationship with the agent.
Tip: Go to an auction to observe an auctioneer in action and how they relate with the agent/s and bidders.
Matthew offers these top tips:
- Make sure your auctioneer is someone you and your agent can work with. A good relationship and personal connection is paramount.
- Do your research: An auctioneer’s prior performance and how they represent both the real estate agent and vendor is crucial. This is especially so when bidding may be slow at an auction or when selling in a buyer’s market. It’s easy for an auctioneer to be impressive when the bids are flowing in thick and fast!
- Choosing an auctioneer based on their knowledge of the real estate industry, legislation and proper processes will ensure that everything goes smoothly on the day.
Watch Matthew in action.
Further to these tips, Matthew notes how an auctioneer can influence the auction result:
“We orchestrate the work of real estate agents on what is usually the last day of a sales campaign,” said Matthew. “A good auctioneer will have a clear idea of what the vendor’s and the agent’s instructions are. A great auctioneer will also have the ability to react to auction conditions spontaneously. This responsiveness, and not simply following a set structure, will have a positive influence on the final result.”
Riverview Realty’s – Auction clients and spectator quotes:
“Fabulous auction and fabulous auctioneer” D. Meakin
“Inspiring, engaging and motivating auctioneer” L. Tremayne
“Great auctioneer, results driven” A. Cope
“Handled auction well, excellent result” J. Bingham
“Interactive auctioneer getting everyone attention and delivering a great result” C. Harris
“Best Auctioneer I have seen. Driving hard for the vendor with excellent engagement with the bidders” K. McBride
An auctioneer is the most critical variable on auction day. A terrible auctioneer can break a sales team’s campaign in a matter of minutes.
Riverview Realty is a boutique agency focused on achieving the maximum price, with a client engagement that is above the industry standard. We call it the “Ultimate Experience” which forms part of our unique selling proposition.
Ph. 02 9420 0083, 59 Tambourine Bay Road, Riverview.
You’re welcome to connect with us on social media: